This is the online extension of our classroom this semester (2007 Fall Term) at the SVRSS. The content here is being created by real students in a real classroom. Enjoy learning from and with each other...

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Non-Linear Function Unit Summary

I learned what domain (x values) and range (y values) are.
Ex: (3,2), (8,9), (12,-8)
Domain : 3, 8,12
Range: 2, 9, -8

How to use Graphmatica and my calculator to find the domain, range and other questions answers. I also learned how to do questions with “e” in them like the amusement park questions, and how to print from Graphmatica.

Printing from Graphmatica:
Enter the equation, change the window setting if needed to properly see the graph, use copy graphs (it is the fifth button from the left), go to word, right click, paste, and re size and add titles and so on if wanted.

We also learned of equation forms:
y-k=a(x-h)^2
y=ax^2+bx+c (standard form)

These are for quadratics.
We also learned how the exponents show how many “bumps” are in a function.
Linear:zero
Quadratic: one
Cubic:two
Etc…
And by using excel how to find the volume of a box.

I found learning Domain and Rage difficult since I had no idea what I was doing. I found the Amusement park questions very easy from the beginning and was able to do well on those. I still find creating stat plots difficult but am getting a lot better at it!
I found this unit to be fun and a little challenging but over all there was a lot to learn.

No comments: